There are a series of medial checks that have to be conducted before going into weight-loss surgery. There many factors the surgeon has to take into consideration before conducting weight-loss surgery. It took me almost two months to complete all of my medical requirements. Stressful and time consuming but all so worth it at the end.

I am four months out from my laparoscopic sleeve surgery and things have been moving along very smoothly up until in recent weeks. I am down 100lbs and it was January 2017. New year, new beginnings, well that was up until I had the worst chest attack of my life. I thought I was having a heart attack; I was already saying goodbye to my husband and giving him instructions. I was in a state of panic and frightened. I get rushed to the ER and unfortunately it was not the hospital I had my surgery and know my current health situation. The ER doctors could not help me but confirmed that my heart was in tact. I was greatly relieved that my heart was completely fine. I then opted not to stay overnight and went home. The following morning I called my surgeon to schedule an immediate appointment to find out what is going on with me. Although the doctor was on vacation his PA was available and informed me that the attack I had sounded like a gallbladder attack. I was in shock and stressed. I wasn’t sure what it all meant and why this was happening to me.  When I had the pre-op testing done my gallbladder was in good condition. I was then sent in for an ultrasound and discovered that my gallbladder was filled with stones. This means it has to come out. “Yikes! Another surgery in less than four months” were my thoughts at that moment.

So here is what I found out.  Up to 50% will develop gallstones after weight-loss surgery. It is common with drastic weight-loss, your gallbladder will develop cholesterol stones and the gallbladder starts malfunctioning causing such pain as chest attacks, nausea and vomiting. The stones are typically harmless and about 15% to 25% of patients need to have their gallbladder removed.

I opted for the surgery to occur immediately. Doctor ensured me it would be out patient. I had no major issues and was home within hours of the surgery being completed. It has been almost a week since my surgery and I am feeling pretty good. A little bruised but nothing major and I am able to handle food a little better. I no longer have the nausea or chest pain. Currently I do not sense hunger since this surgery and have had to make sure I eat my required nutrition in order to stay healthy. Staying healthy is the number one priority. Hope this information helps from a Bari-Patient to another.